One of my all time favorite dishes! This one is a vegetarian version… quite delicious. I’ve made this one several times – with some variations from the original recipe – and we enjoy it a great deal.
*Update* I was shopping for ingredients for this recipe yesterday and my eye fell upon the fresh cilantro. I immediately knew what was missing from this recipe!! It makes a wonderful difference!
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 green bell peppers
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Rinse brown rice thoroughly.
- In a saucepan bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat to medium and boil, uncovered, 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Drain rice and return to pan. Cover and let sit off heat for 10 minutes.
- Combine cooked rice with black beans, cheese, cilantro and chili powder. Cut the tops off of the peppers and remove the ribs and seeds.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the rice, cheese and bean mixture into the peppers.
- Bake in preheated oven until peppers soften, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat tomato sauce in a small saucepan over low to medium heat. Slice peppers in half, top with tomato sauce and serve.
Original recipe posted at http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Green-Peppers/Detail.aspx