A bit of Mexican heat combines with Caribbean flair in this winner in Quick & Simple‘s Best BBQ Dish contest, submitted by Karen Gulkin of Greeley, CO.
- 6 to 8 (or a combination) boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves or thighs
- 2 (in adobo sauce) canned chipotle peppers, seeded
- 2 tablespoon(s) adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 cup(s) canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 3/4 cup(s) rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoon(s) soy sauce
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Place chicken in a large bowl or zip-top plastic bag. In a blender or food processor, purée peppers, adobo sauce, coconut milk, brown sugar and ginger until smooth. Pour marinade over chicken, cover with plastic wrap or seal bag, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. Discard excess marinade.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill chicken for 4 to 6 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- For the glaze: Combine rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and adobo sauce in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until thickened and about 3/4 cup remains, about 15 to 20 minutes. (Note: You can make this sauce 3 to 4 days in advance and reheat before serving.)
- Place chicken on plate and pour chili glaze over the top. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves and serve.