Actually, I’m not a sports fan, but my wife loves football. We typically watch one game per year – the Superbowl. It used to be for the commercials, but the commercials have gone downhill, so now I doze through the football and we enjoy some snacks. Now that we are eating healthy, I had to re-think Superbowl snacks. So we will have veggies and dip plus Shrimp Cocktail. I found a recipe for the home-made healthy ketchup which I will then use as part of the cocktail sauce. Special thanks to SpoonfulOfSugarFree.com for these recipes. Enjoy the game!
- 1/4 cup Homemade Ketchup
- 1-3 teaspoons horseradish
- Simply mix the two ingredients together and serve with boiled shrimp. You may adjust the amount of horseradish used to suit your tastes. Some horseradishes are stronger than others, and some prefer a stronger or weaker horseradish taste.
- 12 oz. tomato paste
- 4 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 1/4 cup+2 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients and whisk until combined. You may wish to blend in order to ensure the spices are evenly mixed throughout.
- It is best to let the ketchup sit together in the fridge for a couple of hours, or overnight, before serving so that the flavors blend together well.
- Store in an airtight container in fridge.
Check the ingredients of your tomato paste. The only item listed should be tomatoes.