1 medium sized red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 limes
- 2-3 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 5 cups shredded turkey (or chicken)
- 5 avocados
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lettuce/arugula/spinach to garnish
- Place the onion slices in a bowl and sprinkle with about 1 tbsp. salt, use your hands to rub the salt into the onion slices. Cover with lukewarm water and let rest for 10-20 minutes. Rinse the onions well with cold water and drain. This will help remove the bitterness of the onions and also helps them marinate better with the lime juice.
- Add the lime juice from 3 ½ limes to the onions. Save ½ lime to drizzle over the avocados.
- Let the onions marinate with the lime juice and a sprinkle of salt for about 10 minutes.
- Add the sliced tomatoes, chopped cilantro and olive oil to the onions, mix well.
- Mix the onion and tomato salad with the shredded turkey. Add salt/pepper to taste.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the seeds, and peel carefully.
- Drizzle remaining lime juice over the avocados, this prevents them from darkening.
- Use a spoon to stuff avocados with turkey (or chicken) salad filling.
- Serve immediately on a bed of salad greens.