My wife dearly loves coconut shrimp, so she asked me to make it for her for Mother’s Day. I went to the internet and combined a couple of recipes (primarily the recipe from DamnDelicious – click the image to see her recipe) to come up with the following which she loved. The shrimp were beautifully moist and delicious! Happy Mother’s Day, Denise! You are an incredible mom and the best wife and friend I could ever imagine!
- 2 cups coconut oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- >Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Sweet chili sauce, for serving
- Marinate shelled, deveined shrimp in coconut milk for a half-hour to 4 hours
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper to taste. Working one at a time, dredge shrimp in the flour, dip into the eggs, then dredge in the coconut mixture, pressing to coat.
- Working in batches, add shrimp to the skillet and fry until evenly golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve immediately with sweet chili sauce, if desired.