Well, we actually just take some quality time together, part of which is some yummy break from our dietary regimen. This is one of our favorite Saturday morning dishes – Blueberry Coffeecake!
I got the recipe from Fitsugar.com who in turn got it from Whole Foods Market
Blueberry Coffee Cake
Nonstick cooking spray
2 tablespoons plus 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, divided
1/4 cup light brown sugar or sucanat
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups fresh or frozen, thawed and drained blueberries, divided
1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Put 2 tablespoons of the whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, butter, cinnamon and cardamom in a small bowl and mix together with a fork or your fingers until well combined and mixture is in large clumps; set streusel aside.
- Put remaining 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, vanilla and eggs then pour into bowl with dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Gently fold in 1 cup of the blueberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and sprinkle reserved streusel over the top. Scatter remaining 1 cup blueberries over the streusel then top with almonds.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center cake comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Once cooled, loosen edges of cake and transfer to a plate. Cut into slices and serve.
12 (Don’t believe it!) Yes, I do use butter; I do not believe in using margarine. Haven’t tried the newer ‘heart-healthy’ butter replacements, so I can’t say.
Per serving (about 3oz/81g-wt.): 150 calories (40 from fat), 4 g total fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 40 mg cholesterol, 210 mg sodium, 23 g total carbohydrate (3 g dietary fiber, 9 g sugar), 5 g protein