A collection of Rod's favorite recipes
Posts tagged ‘quiche’
Easy Broccoli and Spinach Quiche
1 onion, minced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
1/4 pound Havarti cheese
4 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
||Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line crust with cheese and pat down firmly.
||Cook onions until soft over medium-high heat. Add garlic, cook for two minutes. Add broccoli and spinach. Cook until broccoli is tender. Spoon vegetables into crust.
||Combine eggs and half-and-half. Season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over vegetables and cheese.
||Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until center has set.
- 1 Basic Pie Dough or a 9-inch deep-dish frozen pie crust
- 2 cups large dice broccoli florets and tender stems (about 6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups large dice portobello mushroom (from about 1 [4-ounce] mushroom)
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded young Gouda cheese (about 4 ounces)
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Lightly flour a work surface and roll pie dough out into a 12-inch round approximately 1/4 inch thick. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the dough, trimming within 1 inch of the plate. Fold over excess dough and pinch to create a decorative edge.
- Line the crust with a piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil large enough to overhang the edge by 1 inch, then fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake the crust on a baking sheet until set and light brown, about 20 minutes. Remove pie weights and parchment paper and continue baking until crust is dry to the touch, about 10 minutes more. Let cool slightly before adding filling, at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add broccoli and cook until fork tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and let cool in a single layer on a large plate.
- Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add mushroom and onion and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook until vegetables are soft and mushroom edges are golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs, half-and-half, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until incorporated and smooth. Stir in broccoli, mushroom mixture, and cheese.
- Pour custard into pie shell and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 45 minutes. Let cool at least 20 minutes before slicing.