1 cup uncooked red quinoa
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons finely minced shallots
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups (1/2-inch) diced seeded tomato
1/2 cup (1/2-inch) diced seeded cucumber
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
2 ounces crumbled feta cheese (about 1/2 cup)
4 lemon wedges
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and place in a large bowl. Let cool 1 hour.
2. While quinoa cools, combine oil and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Let stand 20 minutes.
3. Add dressing, tomato, and next 4 ingredients (through chickpeas) to quinoa; toss well. Add cheese, and toss gently. Serve with lemon wedges.
Kids Can Help: With a child-safe knife, kids can chop the tomatoes and cucumber, and then crumble the feta.
Note: MyRecipes is working with Let’s Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA’s MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit http://www.choosemyplate.gov.
Amanda Haas, Cooking Light Real Family Food
Slice the onions ahead, but cut and assemble right before serving. Do not refrigerate the tomatoes or you will destroy their flavor and make their texture mealy.
- 3-4 fresh large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 avocados, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Red wine vinegar (a good, strong red wine vinegar)
- Extra virgin olive oil (the best quality)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place a layer of sliced tomatoes on a large serving platter. Arrange the slivers of red onions and the chunks of avocado over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with parsley, garlic, and oregano. Drizzle red wine vinegar and olive oil over the platter. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve immediately. Do not refrigerate.
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice, drained
1 (28-ounce) can S&W Crushed Tomatoes, Italian Recipe
2 cups good quality chicken stock
5 oz. frozen spinach
Salt and Pepper to taste
Heat a medium soup pot over moderate heat. Add oil, shallots and garlic. Sautee 5 minutes. Add drained tomatoes and crushed tomatoes, stire. Add stock and stir to combine soup. Stir in spinach. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 – 15 minutes to reduce.