- 1 15- to 19-ounce can beans, such as chickpeas, black-eyed peas or kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 5- to 6-ounce cans water-packed chunk light tuna, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 4 teaspoons capers, rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, divided
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- Combine beans, tuna, bell pepper, onion, parsley, capers, rosemary, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 2 tablespoons oil in a medium bowl. Season with pepper. Combine the remaining 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 tablespoons oil and salt in a large bowl. Add salad greens; toss to coat. Divide the greens among 4 plates. Top each with the tuna salad.
TIPS & NOTES
- Note:Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp. olive oil
8 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
8 slices bacon, cooked and diced
4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
2 avocados, pitted and diced
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup garlic vinaigrette (see recipe below)
1/4 cup chopped green onions
Garlic Herb Vinaigrette Ingredients:
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard (optional)
pinch of salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
1 Tbsp. dried Italian seasonings
1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add chicken. Cook for 3 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside. (Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken.) Remove chicken and let rest for at least 10 minutes. Dice chicken into small pieces.
Add the diced chicken, lettuce, bacon, blue cheese, avocados and tomatoes to a large bowl, and toss until combined. Drizzle or toss with garlic vinaigrette and serve immediately.
Slice the onions ahead, but cut and assemble right before serving. Do not refrigerate the tomatoes or you will destroy their flavor and make their texture mealy.
- 3-4 fresh large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 avocados, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Red wine vinegar (a good, strong red wine vinegar)
- Extra virgin olive oil (the best quality)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place a layer of sliced tomatoes on a large serving platter. Arrange the slivers of red onions and the chunks of avocado over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with parsley, garlic, and oregano. Drizzle red wine vinegar and olive oil over the platter. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve immediately. Do not refrigerate.